The drywall was hung, taped, and textured and now its ready for me to get on with painting. I have a quick decision to make. Help!
Having passed the framing and electrical inpsections, the next direct step for the basement was to finish up the insulation. For the first time ever, this task turned out to be easier than I expected.
Yesterday the new flooring for the basement was delivered. I'm not quite ready to install it but I do have a sample on the floor already!
n what was actually one of the easiest steps in the whole basement project - a day and a half of concentrated work by me, my dad, and our fabulous electrician Terry Kuehn - we made some of the most concrete-feeling progress. We've created order from chaos from order!
The basement framing has been proceeding in the background of several other projects and is starting to finally come together. The electrician is scheduled to come out and work with me on wiring in the next few weeks!
Nothing shows the importance of insulation like an IR thermometer. It is best used when the temperature differential between inside and outside is greatest - mid summer or winter.
With winter coming (the weather just shifted from 70's to 40's this week), I was reminded of a punch list of get it done in good weather items. One was last weeks painting catch-all. Another is the possibly crazy goal of getting the mudroom framed in, scheduled for next week. This week I wanted to … Continue reading Basement Progress: Snugged in for winter with new basement Windows
Part of the reason I decided to entirely tear out the existing "finished basement" was aesthetic: it was incredibly dated with an unpleasant drop ceiling and an unfortunate layout. I could have kept some parts of it however, if it hadn't been totally un-insulated. I can do SO MUCH BETTER than that.
In order to start the next stage of basement progress, framing up the new walls, I needed the plumbers to come back and move some old pipes out of my way. At the same time they replaced a bunch of aging equipment and re-located the water heater to make a more efficient pipe layout!
I had literally not had the full den and bathroom areas covered in subfloor for ONE DAY when intense overnight rains (and some bad drainage) scared the pants off me. Here's how I IDed the source of the water seepage and fixed it. Thanks rainstorm, I guess.